- About Us
- Contact Us
- Join Us
- How We're Helping
- Tampa Bay Times Fund Inc.
- Grants awarded 2-16
Newspaper In Education
The Times is one of nearly 1,000 U.S. newspapers offering “a living textbook,’’ the daily newspaper, to teachers and students. Now you can read and teach with the Times, just as it appears in the printed edition, from the convenience of your computer. Simply sign up for the e-edition and you’ll have daily access to an electronic version of the newspaper. You will be saving trees, avoiding newspaper pileup and making learning more interactive and exciting for your students.
The e-edition is a digital replica of the printed paper. The complete paper – including every article, photograph and advertisement, even the crossword puzzle – is automatically delivered to your computer.
Reading increases vocabulary, writing skills and knowledge of the world around us. What better way to increase knowledge about the world than by reading newspapers? What better way to make this reading more interactive than by using the electronic edition?
For information about how to receive your free copies of the Times and accompanying teaching materials for your school, call 727-893-8138 or 800-333-7505, ext. 8138 or visit www.tampabay.com/nie.
- Jodi Pushkin, manager, email@example.com, 727-893-8961
- Sue Bedry, development specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org, 727-893-8969
- Noelle Sansom, account coordinator, email@example.com, 727-893-8884
What Is NIE?
- The Tampa Bay Times Newspaper in Education (NIE) program is a cooperative effort between schools and the Times to promote the use of newspapers in print and electronic form as educational resources.
- Since the mid '70s, when Editor Nelson Poynter directed his wife to start a Newspaper in Education program at the Times, NIE has provided schools with class sets of the paper, plus our award-inning original curriculum, at no cost to teachers or schools.
- With ever shrinking school budgets, the newspaper has become an invaluable tool to teachers. In the Tampa Bay area, more than 4,000 teachers order more than 4-million newspapers for their classrooms every school year.
- The Times NIE program also offers a home literacy program that provides home delivery of the paper and special curriculum to families in 11 Title I schools in Pinellas and Hillsborough counties. This program encourages families to read the paper together.
- The Times absorbs all production costs and 75 percent of the cost of newspapers; the other 25 percent of the newspaper cost is paid for through the sponsorships of generous community-minded companies, government agencies, foundations and individuals.
- The Times and our NIE curriculum are rich educational resources, offering teachers an up-to-the-minute, living text and source for countless projects in virtually every content area. In this digital age, NIE provides exciting online learning opportunities using the Times, such as blogs and podcasting, and soon will be offering exact replica electronic editions for classroom use.
- With training and a variety of curriculum resources, teachers make the Times a living textbook that features current, real-world information. Using the newspaper and NIE curriculum on a regular basis helps students develop daily reading habits that they will carry through their lives. These newspapers provide a vital link to the real world for students who too often do not realize the value of their academic programs. The study of today's critical issues, events and people helps students understand the past and see a role for themselves in their future world. Student interests, from sports to entertainment, become the arena for practicing basic enrichment skills and understanding concepts as students use statistics and other data to compute, invest and comparison shop.
- Studies show that students who learn using the newspaper become more engaged citizens as adults, and also grow up to vote in community, state and national elections.
- Students in schools with NIE programs do 10 percent better in reading scores than students in schools that have no NIE program, according to a study conducted for the NAA Foundation.